Bead Method for the Detection of Sperm-Reactive IgG Antibodies
- 2-component kit
- direct method performed on fresh unprocessed semen
- built-in positive control
- can be performed and analyzed in less than 10 minutes
- uniform colored beads for easy-to-read results
- improvement over SpermMarTM
- only reagents available that detect IgA and IgM antibodies using the Mixed Agglutination Reaction
- competitively priced
- 18-month shelf life
There is considerable evidence that antibodies directed against sperm surface antigens exert a fertility-reducing effect. When antisperm antibodies are present, they bind to the surface of the sperm. Such sperm-bound antibodies may impair sperm movement, penetration of the cumulus and/or zona pellucida, the acrosome reaction, interaction of sperm and egg as well as identify the sperm for destruction by the immune system. It has also been suggested that sperm antibodies may exert an embryotoxic effect. Finally, there is evidence that antibody concentration is correlated directly with the severity of sperm functional impairment and inversely with potential fertilizability.
For these reasons, many reproductive specialists screen sperm and/or serum for anti-sperm antibodies before choosing an appropriate Assisted Reproductive Technology.